While there are several plants and flowers, only a few plants are truly dangerous for your dog. The common plant in your living room or your garden may be poisonous to your dog. If it is so, they can cause mild irritation and in severe cases, they might even cause the death of your dog. In some cases, your dog might need emergency veterinary care. In short, if your dog eats poisonous plant or flower it can die. You never want this to happen with your dog right? Here, is a list of different flowers and plants toxic to dogs which you should watch out for.
Flowers And Plants Toxic To dogs
Flowers are beautiful and also used to decorate your home. But many dog owners don’t know there are a number of flowers that can be toxic for their dogs.
In case, the dog eats a wrong flower, it can become very ill and in some cases, even the dog can die and it is not what you expected. So, you need to be very careful in keeping them away from those plants and flowers that can harm your dog.
Daffodil, hyacinth, and tulip flowers can damage a dog’s esophagus and mouth that leads to drooling, severe diarrhea, vomiting, etc. Even if your dog eats this kind of flowers, his/her heartbeat becomes abnormal and for this, he/she might even die. In the below section, you can check out a complete list of summer-time and common run plants and flowers those are really dangerous.
Azalea or rhododendron can affect dogs. Signs of toxicity include vomiting, excess salivation, weakness, coma, nervous system depression, collapse, and death.
This flower can cause allergic dermatitis with repeated skin exposure. Berry ingestion could result in intestinal upset like; abdominal pain, diarrhea or vomiting.
Aloe vera has numerous medical benefits, but the skin and inner layers are quite toxic to dogs. The gel or liquid is medicinal for humans but it is quite dangerous. Once your dog eats this plant, then he/she can suffer from the depression, vomiting, anorexia, diarrhea, and also tremors change in the urine color.
This plant is also known as Cornstalk plant, Dracaena, Dragon Tree or Ribbon Plant. Clinical signs of intaking this plant includes vomiting (occasionally with blood), depression, anorexia, excess salivation.
If your dog eats this flower, then your dog might suffer may the below diseases.
Dieffenbachia is a common houseplant, also known as Dumb Cane. Signs of toxicity include intense burning, oral irritation, along with irritation of mouth, tongue, and lips, excessive drooling, difficulty swallowing, and vomiting.
Carnation is a very beautiful flower. You can see this flower around yourself. But make sure that your dog should stay away from this flower. Once, your dog eats the flower and after that, he/she can suffer from gastrointestinal and skin problem.
English Ivy can lead to irritation of the mouth and intestinal tract, showing up as stomach pain, diarrhea, vomiting or excessive salivation.
Geranium flower plant is toxic for dogs. Clinical signs include vomiting, anorexia, depression, and dermatitis or skin irritation.
Cyclamen is a common household flowering plant that is also called Salbread. The roots are particularly dangerous but ingestion of any part can cause vomiting, oral irritation, heart abnormalities, seizures, and even death.
Daffodil, the whole plant is poisonous to dogs. The daffodil plant can cause vomiting, convulsions, arrhythmias, abnormal pain, diarrhea, and a significant drop in blood pressure.
Like the daffodil, the entire tulip is also poisonous for dogs. The leaf is the most dangerous part and the ingestion can cause significant oral irritation and excessive drooling nausea.
The amaryllis can cause abnormal pain, hypersalivation, vomiting, depression, and anorexia.
Autumn crocus is another plant where the bulb is the most toxic part for the dogs. This plant can cause an intense burning sensation in the mouth as well as vomiting, diarrhea, liver, and kidney. It also damages the seizures and even heart arrhythmias.
Oleander is a flowery shrub that’s popular throughout California in the Southern. It causes a variety of severe heart problems if eaten. Other symptoms include incoordination, vomiting more, and muscle tremors.
Kalanchoe is a popular houseplant because of its smell. By mistake, if your dogs eat it, then it can lead to vomiting and diarrhea. In rare cases, this plant also causes heart arrhythmias.
Hydrangea plant is toxic, particularly for cats and dogs. The most common clinical signs are vomiting depression.
The jade plant is also known as dwarf rubber plant. The flowers poisonous to dogs. Signs of toxicity include depression, vomiting, weakness, and slow heart rate.
The sago palm is also known as coontie palm. It is a harmful plant for the dogs. That can show up as blood in faces, jaundice, increased thirst, bruising clotting disorder, and vomiting. The seeds are most toxic but the whole part of this plant is poisonous.
Satin photos or silver philodendron is toxic to dogs. Analytic signs include intense burning, oral irritation, along with irritation of the lips, mouth tongue and vomiting.
This chrysanthemum flower plant is also a very popular flower plant. If you don’t keep your dog away from this plant, then they can suffer from vomiting, excessive salivation, and loss of coordination.
The citronella plant is also called as the mosquito plant. Dogs who came into contact with the citronella plant can experience skin irritation. Ingestion can result in lethargy, loss of appetite, and diarrhea.
The Hyacinthus Oriental plant can lead to vomiting, depression, diarrhea, and tremors among dogs.
Easter cactus is also known as Schlumbergera bridge plant. The ingestion can turn into depression, diarrhea, and vomiting.
I believe, now you get a clear idea about those dangerous plants and flowers that can take the life of your lovable dog. So, I suggest to all the dog owners that before buying a pretty plant, give a quick look to the above article. As I mentioned earlier that some beautiful potted plant may take the life of your darling dog.